How to Pray the Chaplet of Saint Anthony
This chaplet is composed of thirteen
sets of three beads.
Each set represents one of the many virtues of Saint Anthony;
Faith, Hope, Charity, Love of Jesus, Prudence, Justice, Patience, Penance,
Humility, Purity, Obedience, Poverty, Spirit of Prayer, and Union with God.
For each set of 3 beads, pray the following;
On the first bead, say 1 Our Father
On the second, pray 1 Hail Mary
On the third, pray 1 Glory Be
At the end, recite the Miraculous Responsorial
by Saint Bonaventure
If miracles thou vain would see; Lo, error, death, calamity.
The leprous stain, the demon flies, from beds of pain the sick arise.
seas forgo their prey, The prisoner's cruel chains give way;
While palsied limbs and
chattels lost both young and old recovered boast.
And perils perish, plenty's hoard,
Is heaped on hunger's famished board;
Let those relate who know it well, Let Padua of
her patron tell.
The hungry seas forgo their prey,..
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
The hungry seas forgo their prey,......
V. Pray for us, blessed Anthony,
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us Pray;
O God, let the votive commemoration of Blessed Anthony, Thy confessor,
source of joy in Thy Church, that she may always be fortified with spiritual assistance,
and may deserve to possess eternal joy. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Patron Saint of amputees, animals, the elderly, expectant mothers, fishermen,
lost articles, mariners, Native Americans, poor, oppressed, travelers and hostesses.
Wards against shipwrecks, starvation and sterility.
Another Method of Praying the
Saint Anthony Chaplet
In addition to the 13 Our Fathers,
Hail Maries and Glory Be's, meditate on these 13 petitions:
1. Saint Anthony, who raised the
dead, pray for those Christians now in their agony, and for our dear departed.
2. Saint Anthony, zealous preacher of the Gospel, fortify us against the
errors of the enemies of God,
and pray for the Holy Father and the Church.
3. Saint Anthony, powerful with the heart of Jesus, preserve us from the
calamities which threaten us
on account of our sins.
4. Saint Anthony, who drivest away devils, make us triumph over their snares.
5. Saint Anthony, lily of heavenly purity, purify us from the stains of
the soul and preserve our bodies from all dangers.
6. Saint Anthony, healer of the sick, cure our diseases and preserve us in health.
7. Saint Anthony, guide of travelers, bring to safe harbor those who are in danger of
perishing and calm the troubled waves of passion which agitate their souls.
8. Saint Anthony, liberator of captives, deliver us from the captivity of evil.
9. Saint Anthony, who restorest to young and old the use of their limbs,
obtain for us the perfect use of the senses of our body and the faculties of our soul.
10. Saint Anthony, finder of lost things, help us to find all that we
lost in the spiritual and temporal order.
11. Saint Anthony, protected by Mary, avert the dangers which threaten
our body and our soul.
12. Saint Anthony, helper of the poor, help us in our needs and give
bread and work to those who ask.
13. Saint Anthony, we thankfully proclaim thy miraculous power,
and we beseech thee to protect us all the days of our life.